Central LibraryAbout the Central Library
Sree Chaitanya Mahavidyalaya has a good library functioning from the beginning of this Institution. The library is located on the first floor of south- west side in the college building.
The library has a good library functioning from the beginning of this Institution. The library has a rich collection of national /international books and journals in the field of Commerce, Arts & Science on different subjects including reference books. The subjects include Bengali, Chemistry, Commerce, Computer, Economics, Education, English, Environment Studies, History, Human Development, Mathematics, Food & Nutrition Science, Physical Education, Sanskrit, Sociology & Statistics as well as reference books. Total collections including text books & reference books are 29000 till the academic year 2015-16.
Library has well collection of reference books such as General Dictionary (Bengali & English Version), Subject Dictionary, Explanatory Dictionary, Dictionary of Antonyms & Synonyms, Dictionary of Quotations, Thesaurus, Glossary, General Encyclopaedia, Subject Encyclopaedia, Directory, Year Book, Biography.
Library has special collections or ‘Rachanabali’ of Rabindranath Tagore, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, Vidyasagar, Madhusudan, William Shakespeare, Ashapurna Debi, Manik Bandopadhyay, Tarasankar Bandopadhyay, Samaresh Basu, Saradindu Bandopadhyay, Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay, Jyotirmoyee Debi, Radharani devi, Sibram Chakraborty, Swarnakumari Devi, Subhas Rachnabali, Bijon Bhattacharaya, Annada Shankar Ray, Mahasweta Debi, Subodh Ghosh etc.
Some detective stories are available in library like “Sherlock Holmes”, “Jim Corbett Omnibus”, “Feluda Samagra”, “Colonel Samagra” etc. and collection of ghost stories (Bhuter Golpo) can be read by the users.
Library has some valuable collections like collected works of Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar, Jibananda Das, Abul Kalam Azad, Radhakrishan, Dadabhai Naoroji, Leo Tolstoy, Martin Luther King, Napoléon Bonaparte, Maxim Gorky, Karl Marks, Lelin, Lord Mount Batten, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Motilal Nehru, Acharjya Profulla Chandra Roy, Bidhan Chandra Roy etc.
Library has also religious collections like Sree Krishna, Sree Chaitanya, the Mahabharat, Upanishad, Sree Sree Ramakrishna, Baishnava Padabali, Shakta padabali, Mangal-kavya, Vishnu Purana etc.
Books relating to different competitive examinations for career/services like Year books (English & Bengali version), India: a reference annual, UGC-NET, books on entrance test of MCA, BBA, CAT, MAT; General Intelligence, General Knowledge and journal on current information, general knowledge are available for consultation only as reference in the library.
The Library subscribes a good number of print journals, magazines and newspapers which include Yojana (Bengali & English versions), Economic & Political Weekly, Taxman, India Today, Kurukshetra, Peshaprobesh, Sportstar, Desh, Karmakshetra, Employment News, All India Appointment Gazette, Anandabazar Patrika, and the Telegraph. Bound volume of the above mentioned journals are available from 2008.
RULES & REGULATIONS FOR STUDENTS
- The working hours of the library:
Monday to Friday : 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
Saturday : 8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.
But circulation is suspended 30 minutes before closing.
- Each student has to be a member for using the Library.
- The library is an open access system. So students have to keep their bags (excluding purse & mobile) in the baggage counter.
- Every student must put his/her signature in the students attendance register for every access to the library.
- The Students may borrow 2 books at a time for 15 days and may renew the same for additional 15 days if no other student applies/demand for it.
- No student is allowed to take any additional copy of same title at a time.
- Books must be returned before Puja vacation.
- Physical defects of any books in any form must be brought into the notice of the Librarian at the time of its issue, otherwise the respective student will be held responsible for that defect.
- The student should be responsible for any damage of books issued to him/her and compensation will be paid as charged by the college authority.
- If any book is lost by the student, he/she has to replace the book of the same edition.
- The Librarian shall have the power to refuse issuing any book or call back any book already issued to a student.
- Library cards must be surrendered before filling up of university examination forms to get library clearance certificate or to get college transfer certificate or to get new cards for the next session.
- Disregard of library rules, indiscipline and misbehavior will render students liable to be denied access to the library.
- Total silence should be observed in the Library.
- Use of mobile phone is strictly prohibited in the library.